Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 AM

Default Raised Flooring? Where do I find it?

I'm building a great server setup at work and we're looking to revamp the outdated system. For cooling and obvious reasons, i'd like to put in raised flooring, especially for the (what seems like miles) of wires that we need to run. The problem is, that i've called flooring companies and noone has or can get them. Is there a predefined kit online that I could buy? Any ideas here?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Where are you located?

Ken
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM

I have seen people use pallets to raise up the area where the servers are; and I have seen people use those wire mesh shelves to increase air flow. Just a couple different thoughts.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABurton View Post
I have seen people use pallets to raise up the area where the servers are; and I have seen people use those wire mesh shelves to increase air flow. Just a couple different thoughts.
Wouldn't there be a fire risk involved with wood underneath something that could possibly get extremely hot?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkManager View Post
Wouldn't there be a fire risk involved with wood underneath something that could possibly get extremely hot?
Not if you used the plastic pallets. Another possibility might be concrete blocks; if you turned them all the same direction, they'll have those openings through which you can run wires.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 AM

That's a great idea, it would be super solid and there would be plenty of air and space for anything possible. Has anyone had any pest problems with that open space in a temperature controlled room? We're pest free but next door they have had a rat problem in their warehouse, which would connect to our new server space.. Maybe steel nets between the concrete blocks?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataCenterStaff View Post
That's a great idea, it would be super solid and there would be plenty of air and space for anything possible. Has anyone had any pest problems with that open space in a temperature controlled room? We're pest free but next door they have had a rat problem in their warehouse, which would connect to our new server space.. Maybe steel nets between the concrete blocks?
That might help keep pests away, but of course the best solution is to pest spray the whole building fairly regularly. And to keep people from dropping food around the place, and so on.