Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 AM
jwyee

Default Operation cost for a Datacenter

Hi all,

I'm currently working on the OPEX (Operation expenses) of a datacenter and would need some ideas for it. Does anyone have a list of items that need to be take into consideration for operation cost (e.g. Lease line, IP addresses, Operation Engineers, etc)?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:05 AM
DigitalProviders

bandwith, power & cooling, labor

deffinatly missing some others, but I'm sure the rest of the community will chime in.

Best of luck

-DP
Old 10-20-2005, 07:22 PM
gothambus

One word - ELECTRICITY.

This is getting insane lately. In the period Jan-Oct 2005, we've managed to engineer our electric usage DOWN by 6% compared with the same period last year, but our utility costs are still higher than they were in 2004.

Fuel surcharges are killing us. Tell me I'm not the only one.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:15 PM
atermine

Smile tco white paper

hi jwyee,

here is a white paper addressing tco of a DC.

ftp://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/CMRP-5T9PQG_R2_EN.pdf

andrew terminesi
Old 11-22-2005, 02:58 AM
jwyee

Thanks bro. The info has been very useful.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
davew290

Default Cabling Lifecycles and Total Cost of Ownership

Here's an article specifically on the the TCO of cabling systems that provides detailed pricing estimates. There's also a discussion of how to factor in network downtime and how data center downtime relates to TCO.

It covers both enterprise data center infrastructure and overall enterprise infrastructure:

Cabling Lifecycles and Total Cost of Ownership
Old 05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
kjbaudry

Nothing against the NE but power rates in Atlanta are $0.045/kwh. Probably a third of what they are in the NE. May not sound like a lot but operating at high power loads for 24 x 365 adds up fast.

Most hosting operators have an IT background so I'm guessing that you have badnwidth, liscensing fees, etc.

On the reale state & business side:
Preventative Maintenance Contracts for HVAC, UPS, Generator, Fire Protection, Engineering support (on occassiion), General Maintenance & Repairs, Battery Replacement (every 5 years), annual fire alarm system certification for the city, circuit add/moves/changes, fuel for generator, security, legal and accounting fees, marketing (commissions, referral fees, discounts, etc.), general liability insurance, contents insurance, perhaps professional liability insurancs(???), cleaning, trash, POTS(voice) lines, fixtures furniture and equipment (Copier, Fax, Desks, Refrigerator, Coffee Pot etc.), retirement plan' Many of thes aren't very large but $1K here and there add up fast.

Don't forget to allocate time (another cost) for the management of all of these vendors and problem resolution.

Depending on your leas, lease Pass throughs such as CAM, Taxes, & Insurance

Ken Baudry
KJBaudry, Inc.
"Where Real Estate and Technology Meet"
www.kjbaudry.com
www.AvailableDataCenters.com

Last edited by kjbaudry; 05-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Youngblood

I have found this link: http://www.hosting-buyers-guide.com/ar/ and saw some articles that are awesome and straight to the point explanations and definitions. Do anybody here know of a simliar articles that I can refer too? Thanks.