Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM

Default Rack Mounting a Non-Rackable Device

Hi there,

I tried searching Google regarding this topic this but couldn't find anything (I must be using wacky search terms) but...

I'm looking to rack a non-rackable 167mm x 199mm x 223mm storage device. Can anybody point me in a good direction as far as hardware, and does anybody have any tips?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Why not put it on a shelf? Secure it with velcro or zip ties. If you need to block airflow through the cabinet, cut a hole in a 3U blanking panel for the device to poke through.

Ken
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I actually have a shelf, but I was thinking that that would not be enough. The velco and zip ties are an interesting idea, and a blanking panel could also be used to help hold the device in place. But is there any hardware available that would secure the device in such a way that it would not move at all? For example, if I were to put the device on the shelf, is there any hardware I could attach to the rack to to help secure the device from the sides?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Gritty,
My recommendation would be to go purchase couple rubber tie down straps. You can typically pick them up at a local hardware store for a few dollars. You can then use the side of the shelf to secure the strap's hooks to. With the proper sized strap, you can get enough tension to keep that sucker in place. I would only run the straps over the top of the device going side to side (not front to back). The rubber on the strap will prevent the device from sliding anywhere.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 PM

Ken, Keith,

Thanks for the great ideas. I recently bought a roll of velcro. I was thinking about it, and in general that just sounds like a convenient thing to have on hand. The rubber straps idea sounds very promising, anthough the storage device hasn't come yet, so I haven't been able to try out anything. I'll post back later with what I decide on doing.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DrHays

It really depends on some other details you left out. Are you working with a two post rack or four post, what type of shelf and just how heavy is the device?

From your measurements it sounds like it’s just over three U, if you are in a two post rack with a two post shelf I would suggest making sure you use all mounting holes available on the shelf to attach it to the rack. As well as choosing a mounting location low in the rack. Getting Small ratchet straps you can then secure the device to the shelf.

If however you are in a four post with a full shelf I would stick with the Velcro or some other disposable means of securing it to the shelf. Four posts are hard to maneuver in as they get more crowded, so you want some type of straps you don't mind cutting and replacing.

This is what I have seen many individuals do while conducting my Datacenter Migration projects

Other than those things there really is no need for any other securing for the device, if you want to get the device secured directly to the rack and not just the shelf you could use the bars that cross at the center of a lot of four posters. Just mount the shelf so it places the device next to those side rails and secure. Again, seems a little much.

As for the blanking panel, it would be good for air flow direction but won’t, as you suggest, assist in holding the device in place. Those panels pop our if you sneeze on them too hard, let alone securing a device to them
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 AM

Hello Doctor

> It really depends on some other details you
> left out. Are you working with a two post rack
> or four post, what type of shelf and just how
> heavy is the device?

The rack is four post, and I'm using a flat--no holes or openings in the surface--full shelf. I don't have an exact weight, but the device is not too heavy (it can be lifted and carried without any strain).

> If however you are in a four post with a full
> shelf I would stick with the Velcro or some
> other disposable means of securing it to the
> shelf.

That is what I ended up doing: using velcro straps to tie down the device. It was the simplest and least intrusive solution, and as you mention, the straps can also be removed easily.

> As for the blanking panel, it would be good for
> air flow direction but won’t, as you suggest,
> assist in holding the device in place. Those
> panels pop our if you sneeze on them too
> hard, let alone securing a device to them

Yeah, that was a bad idea. I gave up on the blanking panel. It was messy and not very practical, especially since I had no need for air flow control.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Well I'm glad you got it all worked out Gritty, if the device is that light i'm sure you will have no need for any other securing. If anything you got it set up very nice in comparison to what I have seen done.

I have seen a flat bottom-no-hole shelf being supported by cat5, strung under it across the posts like rails, Because the self was too short. lol
It was even running some of their criticals

I think if their Machine can run for over a year like that, your set up will do great
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM

I try not to use shelves as they tend to be more of a hinderance than a solution for my data center. I will always go for generic "L" brackets that can mount in just about any rack if I have them available. They don't take up a 3/4 to a full RU profile that shelves do and can support quite a bit of weight (up to 200lbs or so).

Plus they're more aesthetically pleasing than a shelf which is always a big plus for me.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoeclectic View Post
I try not to use shelves as they tend to be more of a hinderance than a solution for my data center. I will always go for generic "L" brackets that can mount in just about any rack if I have them available. They don't take up a 3/4 to a full RU profile that shelves do and can support quite a bit of weight (up to 200lbs or so).

Plus they're more aesthetically pleasing than a shelf which is always a big plus for me.
I would normally agree on that, I prefer the L bracket style shelves too. However for his particular issue they would not work