Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Default What type of facilities?

What kind of buildings are best suited to turn into Data Centers? I'm thinking that you'll need low profile ones, as bigger ones then to be harder to secure, am I right?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Yes, i agree with you. If you are choosing a bigger data center then ensure to properly manage it. Its better to have a small but well managed and efficient data center.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

I personally go in hunt of power, and connectivity in an area and then find a building to match my requirements.

It's all very well having a building, but if it's not near a HV path, then it's going to cost you a small fortune to get the power into the facility.

In regard to physical building properties, I prefer higher ceilings (remember, heat rises) allowing for lots of over head space, and also the ability to install a good height of raised flooring. Next is shape and spare land surrounding the building as well as all the other factors of additional risk (is it near a river/ stream, is there any chemical/ ga######us storage facilities in the vicinity etc..etc..)

Take a look at the Bunsfield Disaster in the UK a few years ago, that certainly made a large number of business sit up and realize that their choice of location wasn't that great.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM

My understanding of your question is building structure that is best for suited - What I look for limited to NO windows, High ceiling, large dock door. Grocery Stores are these types of structures. Then you need to make sure it meets you electrical, FIBER/Network, Gas, and water requirements
Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM

Guyss for data center there are few important things which you will have to keep in your mind.Most important is Security,proper vantilation,Air conditioner and proper electricity
connection with power backup.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 AM

Cool

Hi,

I totally agree too, a smaller establishment is easier to maintain and its better to maintain a smaller one that to mess up a bigger one.

Regards
Ben Thomas