Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith
Cool Your dream datacenter?

I am just curious to hear what everyone's dream datacenter would be like. No budgetary restrictions...

I get distracted by bright flashy lights...not juniper bright, but bright enough to draw my attention for a little bit.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

OK, I'll bite . My dream data center is two identical sites, both Tier IV, at least 200 miles apart. Physically, the sites are compact and self-contained, much like Sun's Blackboxes. All apps are fully virtualized and fail over automatically with no intervention. Redundant, high bandwidth networking connects the sites to each other and to the outside world, via satellite and terrestrial links. Extensive monitoring is analyzed by real-time AI for preventive and predictive failures. Something like HP's dynamic smart cooling migrates processing loads to prevent hotspots. A similar migration agent avoids processing hotspots. Each location is powered by our own geothermal plants, with nearby hydro available as backup. We have slush ponds for normalizing cooling loads and for emergency backup. All configuration details are integrated, kept up to date and instantly available via CMDB. All processes and procedures are automated and all documentation is complete and current. Everything is monitored and controlled via intuitive GUI dashboards. Of course, our staff are all brilliant and extremely well paid.

I've probably forgotten a few things, but how's that for a start?

Ken
Old 06-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Not bad for a start! I am disappointed that we do not share the same love for bright shiny flashing lights.