Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Question How do you guys store your CAT5 cables

Hi,

first, I'm glad I found a forum where DC guys can exchange their ideas and knowledge. I'm personally relatively new in the DC world, but we have already very much stuff to organize.

Lately I burn so much time with looking for the correct cable lengths etc. that I decided to get a solution to store those cables.
Unfortunately I couldn't find _any_ solution that looks promising. Cable rakes are a nice little idea but are not what I'm looking for.
Right now we're using boxes, which becomes a problem as soon as you mix lengths or types. Of course we could always get more boxes, but that would result in a few cables taking a whole shelf...

I was just wondering if I missed some great innovative system for this task, so if anyone knows something, I'd appreciate any hint :)

Greetings and regards,
jayArr
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Hi, Jay, and welcome to the forums. These stacking bins work well for us. We use different cable colors for different networks and keep a variety of lengths on hand for each color, all stored as separate coils. Easy to find the cable needed or store one back in its right spot. A few stacks of these take a small space along the wall. Modular and scalable. And cheap.
http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/g/st...-stacking-bins

Ken

Last edited by KenB; 07-31-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Hi, Jay, and welcome to the forums. These stacking bins work well for us. We use different cable colors for different networks and keep a variety of lengths on hand for each color, all stored as separate coils. Easy to find the cable needed or store one back in its right spot. A few stacks of these take a small space along the wall. Modular and scalable. And cheap.
http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/g/st...-stacking-bins

Ken
Hi KenB,

thanks for your reply. that's pretty much what we have planned. but because we didn't have enough space before we used to keep all lengths in one bin and that was horrible..
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM

NO ZIP TIES!

Twist ties and velcro straps always worked well for us and just coiling them up and putting them in a Rubbermaid bin. We had different colors for separate purposes and lengths so it was easy to remember to grab the Red Cable for a 3ft straight through cable.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM

There are many cable solutions out there. Just remember when you are cabling inside a cab with multiple servers. Make sure that they do not block the fan exit. If this happens you are creating more heat and thus the cabinet gets really hot. They are may ways to avoid over heating inside a cabinet. I would look at some examples online to help may make a good decision when it come to cabling storage and maintenance.
░ Email Sales@ColocationAmerica.com for a quote or call 888-505-COLO! ツ
Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 AM

I agree with you.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITivan80 View Post
There are many cable solutions out there. Just remember when you are cabling inside a cab with multiple servers. Make sure that they do not block the fan exit. If this happens you are creating more heat and thus the cabinet gets really hot. They are may ways to avoid over heating inside a cabinet. I would look at some examples online to help may make a good decision when it come to cabling storage and maintenance.
It's a very good advice. Overheating is the very common issue that may cause serious consequences. We should constantly pay our attention to that.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:25 PM

These are good:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawer-Plas.../dp/B0036IDDB6

They stack too, so 2 sets would give you 6 draws.

Of course, it really depends on how many cables the OP is talking about.

Tags
cable, cat5, shelf, storage