Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 05-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Default Guidelines for Design a Data Center

Hello every, I'm entering the world of data centers design. I've been reading some book as Enterprise Data Center Design and Methodology (by Rob Snevely) but there are things not clear to me yet. Suppose I am designing a Data Center with the aim that it will grow in the future but for now only have at most three or four racks of equipment. My question is, if possible, without knowing the equipment will be installing, physically and logically design the data center without knowing yet to be carried inside.

Cheers and thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Hi

The book you are reading is a good beginners guide but it’s now a little dated, DCs have changed a lot in the 9 years since this was written.

If I understand you correctly, your question is how can you design and plan your DC around equipment and networks that may not have even been designed yet.

The answer is simple; you design your DC around a set of parameters, not around a fixed set of IT e.g.
• Maximum and average Watts per rack
• Standard rack foot print & rack layout
• Maximum number of racks
• Rack Air flow options allowed
• Maximum/average number and type of Power connections per rack
• Maximum/average number and type of network connections per rack
Once you have set the above parameters you can start to design your DC. This part of the design will require a lot of important decisions to be made.

Now if you want to have your DC work with any IT, any air flow, any heat load, any number of power and network connections and any layout…. It cannot be down.

Hope I haven’t discouraged you
Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 AM

Smile

@raid
very good information to start with.