Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 03-31-2005, 04:49 PM
dcjones

Default Datacenter Disaster

I was beeing working on networking sector and started to work on datacenter. we need to do investigate on datacener disaster causes and recovery. Did you have any experience in past with any disaster happened in your datacenter. Can you list the causes and how to recover.

Thank You for reading my post.
jones
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 AM
zhuhair

We have never come across major disasters. But we had an instance of slammer attacks causing a network downtime. Same was sorted out by ensuring strict security check for the servers and an improved security infrastructure to protect the datacenter.

Best Regards,
Zhuhair.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:15 PM
kjbaudry

I am a consultant and work for a number of data centers. Disasters are my best marketing tool (i.e. Data Center Managers, CIOs etc call me after they have a problem and realize that they need some professional help).

The most common elements: Lack of understaning, Poor Maintenance and stupid stuff.

The data center infrastructure must be thought of a system. Too many managers think that I have my electrician and my hvac service company, and the ups vendor comes twice a year, etc.... This is a recepe for disaster.

It's very common to see power systems loaded such that a single failure will cause a cascading failure.

This is truly a case where what you don't know will bite you.

The other thing is poor design/construction: water lines above data center, lack of separation between data center and non-data center functions, etc.

Ken Baudry
www.kjbaudry.com
Old 04-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Administrator

I found a good article about Disaster.

Preparing for Data Disaster

Joe Suppers, founder of the Forrestal Village-based Node Com Inc., says that before September 11 many companies looked at remote data centers in the same light that so many homeowners view flood insurance. "You keep putting it off until you have a disaster," he says. For many businesses in New York City the unthinkable disaster came. Still numb from the human toll of the terror attacks, they are also having to grapple with the loss of their vital business data. Companies around the country, though not directly affected, are aware as never before of the many ways in which data can be irrevocably lost, and of what that loss could do to their operations.

More info at...
http://www.princetoninfo.com/200110/11024c02.html

Thank You
David.K