Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Vmware/Virtualization Forum

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Default VMware ESX virtualization

Has anyone tried the VMware ESX virtualization product? We license it at the company I work with (C7 Data Centers), and it is pretty popular with our customers. What has been your experience with that product and how would you rate it with other comparable products?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM

I would rate VMware ESX the best virtualization product. Though I am still exploring it I am loving the way it is performing for me.

I still have to learn a lot more on the Vmotion and IP sharing stuff. Looking forward to more threads on the subject.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM

I would have to agree. VMware ESX is a pretty solid product. I've tried Virtuozzo and its very buggy and crashes quite a bit.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Hi,

For high availability VMware visualization is best.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM

We use VMware in our environment and managing more than 2000+ linux boxes and all of them virtual boxes. Also, we are converting our physical boxes to virtual boxes as well. Our ESX server is clustered, so even when one of the box goes down other box will take care of it.

I would definitely recommend VMware compare to other virtualization boxes.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 AM

Vmware Server is the best to host Virtualization because it offers:
• Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 8.0—single processor installations only
• Novell SuSE Linux 8.2, Enterprise Server 8.0 and 9.0 (SP3)—all editions are supported for both single-processor and multiprocessor installations.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7Mike View Post
experience with that product
One product from VMware vSphere Hypervisor, is based on VMware ESX, the hypervisor architecture that sets the industry standard for reliability, performance and ecosystem support.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 AM

VMware is trusted because it is the leading business virtualization infrastructure provider, that offers the most trusted and reliable platform for building private clouds and federating to public clouds.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM

VMware technology provides the ability to create powerful virtual networks within VMware ESX hosts. This technology utilizes the Data Center physical networking features to balance and extend the Data Center networks.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 AM

We've got one of the larger VMware platforms and are very happy with it's performance. VMware is always going to be a premium product for hosting because VMware don't want to de-value their enterprise offerings. Their high availability tools are definitely better than the alternatives from Xen and Microsoft - in particular DRS works particularly well in large scale deployments.

The vast majority of the hosting market is really looking for a lower cost option than VMware so it certainly doesn't work for everyone. The licensing can seem expensive, but in my opinion the quality of the product does justify the price.