Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Default power-down unused PDUs/transformers?

I have a number of PDUs in a datacenter which were installed and commissioned to support future growth. But at present, they are just consuming power and creating heat. We're considering powering them down, until needed; but the longer they would remain off-line, the greater the risk that their performance might no-longer match the results of commissioning.

I'd welcome any advice on how long a PDU could be off-line, before requiring a full re-commission is appropriate.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Administrator

I certainly wouldn't run them if they're not being used. As to how long they can be off before they need to be re-commissioned, I don't think the operating characteristics will change much over time, but can you check with your commissioning agent or consulting engineer?

Ken
Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 AM

As followup: I was considering trying to "profile" the unused PDUs (e.g. take Dranatz logs of the feeder, during inrush and then PDU steady state... maybe even with a load-bank on ), so that when they are repowered in the future, I could tell if "anything changed". The Cx agent said "don't bother". So they were just powered-down.

Some have since been repowered and put into production, without problems. When they hit their annual infrared/ultrasonic scans, they'll be compared against the Cx reports.