Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Network and Telecom Forum

Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 AM

Default USB Wi-Fi Dongle

I'm currently using a USB Wi-Fi dongle for my old notebook computer. I'm just wondering if it's better to use a PCMCIA Wi-Fi card. Which one consumes more power?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 AM

USB has a really low power requirment/power rail - in my opinion you shoule go USB and from a cost perspective it would be the best option also
Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM

I believe the Wi-Fi card consumers more power, and is also the more expensive option.

However, in terms of reliability, usage and effect, a USB dongle is easily outweighed.

I'd advise you to go with the Wi-Fi card, trust me, i know from experience.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Default USB Wi-Fi Dongle

Bring wireless net access to WiFi ready BRAIVIA HDTV or compatible home video product using the UWA-BR100 WiFi dongle. It easily plugs in the TV USB input, and using WiFi Protected Setup (or simply WPS) functionality, it is not difficult at all to get the television set connected to the home network, regardless of what kind of WiFi you’re using.

Access Wireless Network – Access home wireless network when connecting this WiFi dongle to Bluray Disc theater system and Sony WiFi Ready HDTV. Thing to keep in mind – requires home network with an 802.11 access point (however, 802.11n is strongly recommended) and net connection. WiFi Protected Setup wireless router is also required. This device is sold separately.

WiFi Protected Setup – Experience all the benefits of easy setup when you pair this gadget with a WiFi Protected Setup wireless access point. A thing to keep in mind – compatibility is limited to following Sony’s 2010 models: HX900, HX800, EX700, EX40B and EX308 Series HDTV’s; BDV-E370, BDP-S370, BDP-S270 and BDP-S470.

Outputs & Inputs – Ethernet Connections 802.11 access point (however 802.11n is strongly recommended).

We have found the Sony USB WiFi dongle to be a really simple way to stream video from the net to the Sony Bravia HDTV. The amazing advantage of not having to string cable all the way from the router to the Sony DVD Blue Ray player was not only aesthetically beneficial, but also far less time consuming. The picture quality is perfect and the signal is very good as well. Our one and basically only concern is that we believe that the WiFi dongle should have been built into, or included with the Sony DVD BlueRay player.

It’s true, this gadget is not inexpensive however, but given the technological advances for your home T.V. and entertainment it is truly priceless. Keep in mind – this WiFi dongle is meant to be used on Sony’s products and it isn’t sold as a generic gadget to be used on other manufacturer’s products.

Overall, this device is awesome and does just what it is supposed to do.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 PM

The USB is always the best choice, in my opinion. The less stuff you add to your computer, the better. It will save memory and keep it from being slow.