Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Default working in a DC

How is working in a DC? Are their any around South Carolina(Clemson/Anderson)
Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to dougeth

Hi Nomad438,

The closest datacenters I know of off hand are in Greenville. Too far away? As a side note, Clemson University most likely has a data center facility on or around campus.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sago-Sean Send a message via MSN to Sago-Sean Send a message via Yahoo to Sago-Sean Send a message via Skype™ to Sago-Sean

Working in a DC will definitely give you first hand experience and they are usually in the know on the latest and greatest hardware and software in use. I would recommend trying to acquire one. I know at our DC we have internships available I am sure there are some where you are at. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adult100mbps View Post
Working in one would be very fun. i think. you get to mess around building all day. lol
I think that is oversimplifying it a bit my friend. Howver, I agree they are a great place to get hands on experience with lots of different technologies and applications. The bigger the DC the better, as then you get to play with the really cutting edge stuff
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Working in a data center making isn't what it's hyped to be. Sure, it's fun in all, but it requires a lot of work. Often times you don't get much sleep. Your hours are odd if things happened. You could be sleeping an a server could fail, so emergencies at work. Yeah, it's fun, but you have to put a lot in to get it back.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 AM

First of all you have to ask yourself... do I want to be surrounded by lights, switches and walls all day long? If so then a DC is the place for you!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Having a data center job puts you on the bleeding edge of technology and hi-tech equipment. By working in a data center you will naturally be more advance than your peers who work in different industries experienced in technology.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Working with a DS requires detailed amount of skills , Technical as well as mental, there can be different surrounding condition that you can expect there, with noises being one of them along with some humidity and heat at some places.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Despite the popular belief that its "fun", people who actually work in day in and day out find it quite strenous because you can only bear the dry air and cold and annoying sound for so much. Its not fun to be in that environment very long.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Anantha you missed out Noises, They would be quite a havoc with so many machines buzzing around everywhere. Prolonged exposure may have even bitter consequences.