Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
dcjones

Default How many servers can be in 42U

How many 1U servers can be put in 42U, I dont think so we can packaged 42 1U, there will be heating issue. How many do you people mosly fit into 42U cabinets.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SuperRacks Send a message via AIM to SuperRacks Send a message via MSN to SuperRacks Send a message via Yahoo to SuperRacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjones
How many 1U servers can be put in 42U, I dont think so we can packaged 42 1U, there will be heating issue. How many do you people mosly fit into 42U cabinets.
Heating is an issue, but also power consumption and how much of both you may use as result of the TOS of your contract. Generally speaking airconditioning and power feed allows to use 600Watt per square meter. Sometimes that is a praktical limit (the airco and/or UPS can't take anymore as an average), sometimes it is a financial limit (you have to pay more to use more).

I have seen 55U cabinets packed with 1U servercases (at least 40), but that is really exceptional. It takes a very 'cool' space and good servers.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 AM
jaybirdsmith

It also depends on the DC configuration. You can slap cabinets full if the AC is ducted into the bottom of the cabinet. A little less if they are using mesh doors and are ducting under the raised floor right to the front of the cabinet, and a lot less if your not in a raised floor environment.

As for costs, the colo provider is going to factor AC into the cost of providing power. That's why you typically see prices charged per breakered AMP, and when you do the math based upon what power costs, you see that it tends to have quite a bit of markup to it (AC Costs+Markup).
Old 04-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Will@RackSolutions.com

To determine what size AC Unit you require to keep your server room cool you have to determine how much power your equipment is using. The following is a good estimate based on a basic configuration of your equipment.

QTY WATTS VA
2 PE2500 572 817
1 PE2600 362 517
1 PE2550 264 377
1 PE4400 350 500
1 PE2400 290 414
Total 1838 2625

Use the following conversion factor when sizing your AC Unit.

1000W = 0.284 Tons
1 Ton = 3517W

You will need at least 0.5 Tons just for your equipment, this does not include everything else in the room. Typically a small commercial grade AC unit will be 1.5 Tons which would be sufficient for a small server room with your given equipment.

I would speak with the General Contractor or whoever is selling you the AC unit for their professional opinion. A good GC will use a clamp meter to determine the exact power consumption of your equipment. Some GCs will go as far as using a Thermal Imaging device to make sure there are no hot spots in your datacenter.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me or any of the technical support staff at www.RackSolutions.com

Will Beene
Will@RackSolutions.com
Info@RackSolutions.com
www.RackSolutions.com
Old 04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
dcjones

Hi Will,

Thank you for your information, it would definely heping me a lot.

thanks
jones
Old 04-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rob T

Our datacenter is set up with raised floor, down draft AC and has plenty of power available. Due to this, we are able to routinely get 36-38 1U boxes in a rack, as long as we stick with servers that have a soundly engineered cooling solution. We leave 1U for our switch, and we typically use 2-3 shelves per rack which take up 0.5U each. The rest is all servers.

It is also important to take your time and do a good job routing cables and doing a nice clean install - the better job you do with that, the better your airflow, which will in turn allow you to maximize your rack space.

I have some pics of our installs, let me know if you would like to see how we do it.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
zhuhair

Hi Rob,

Would it be possible for you to share the pics..

Best Regards,
Zhuhair.
www.sifycorp.com
Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 PM
IRCCo Jeff

zhuhair,

Everyone is making the assumption that you have a 40A/110V connection to your cabinet (which is the exception, not the rule). Most cabinets are 20A/110V or 15A/110V in which case you can forget about putting more than 20 - 25 systems.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 PM
dcjones

Do you tink 15 A is good enough for 42U. I thought atleast we might need 20 Amp.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:15 AM
ktolbert

Here is a cabinet setup to handle this kind of density.
http://www.afcosystems.com/documents...asp?id=1&sid=4
Check out their white paper it is good info.
Here are the power strips we use, Dual 30amps
http://www.servertech.com/products/3...ing/CDU84-DD/#
we get about 38-40 servers per cabinet depending on server. patch panel at top.

for what its worth