Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Making Patch Cables

I came across these EZ pass thru crimp connectors and I am curious if anyone has ever used this system to terminate category cable. Seems cool to me and easy to use. But I am a little old school. Not sure if it is worth it. Anyone have experience with it? Looks like the connectors are much more expensive then traditional ones. Any feedback is much appreicated!

Connectors: Platinum Tools EZ-RJ45 Cat 5e Connector
Platinum Tools 100003C EZ-RJ45 Cat 5e Connectors

Looks like I have to buy the tool for it too!

Platinum Tools EZ-RJPRO HD Crimp Tool

Platinum Tools 100054C EZ-RJPRO HD Crimp Tool
Old 02-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Erin,
I have used these connectors quite a bit. They are a great tool for mass installs by people who do not make cables on a daily basis. The connectors are quite a bit more expensive but you need to weigh the time savings vs. cost benefit.

One thing to remember with these tools is that you need to cut the cable so that at least 2" is going to stick out the other end of the connector so that you can cut it off properly. Without the excess cable out the front, I found that the cable just kind of bent. Also, make sure you keep a couple extra blades on hand as they tend to get dull. I also wish the quality of the crimper was a little bit better.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM

The connectors are expensive.
-------------------

Online Business
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DrHays

Like Keith said, they are great for people who have not made many cables and time is a factor.
They are also great when making to length cable for a customer that wants as little slack as possible, can't always afford to redo a head when you only have a few inches of cable left.

However if you have experience making them the more traditional way I would say just stick to that, they arn't worth the extra cost for if your team isn't going through a few bad heads per cable, and they really don't save any time if you are good with the normal heads and crimps.

Oh and for some reason the crimpers I had always left the very outside wires (white/orange and brown) uncut, so I would have to bust out my snips anyway. Though I didn't find having the extra cable coming out the end had any effect on the cut