Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > Server Rack / SAN/NAS Storage Forum > Server Discussion

Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Default Windows Server 2003 VPN Setup

Hi all,

I am running Server 2003 Enterprise and want to establish a VPN so that the server can be accessed remotely by other computers both in and out of the local network.

Here's the current chain: Server 2003 -->Linksys WRT54G -->Modem -->Internet

I have tried setting up the VPN with the Server 2003 wizard, but get the message "Less than two network interfaces were detected on this machine. For standard VPN server configuration at least two network inferfaces need to be installed. Please use the custom configuration path instead." When I use the custom config...I can't get anything to work.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 PM

2003 standard VPN server requires two NICs

For the security reason, 2003 standard VPN server requires at lease two NICs. If you have just one NIC on the server, you may receive following message while configuring VPN on 2003 server: "Less than two network interfaces were detected on this machine. For standard VPN server configuration at lease two network interfaces need to be installed. Please use the custom configuration path instead.".
If you would like to setup VPN with one NIC on 2003, you may select the Custom Configuration.
Networking, VPN, TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting