Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Design, Development, Building Systems and Operations

Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 AM
geekster

The whitepapers on APC's site seem to have become Transparent Papers now !

None of them are coming up when you use the whitepapers link, or search.

I even tried google to find a cached copy, without luck.

Does anyone have the PDF's saved somewhere.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Admin

Yeah that would be handy. If any does have them I will give you an email to send the whitepapers to.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:38 PM
zhuhair

Hi guys..Sorry cudn't catch up with u all for quite some time. Pls let me know ur mail id's. I shall have them mailed across.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:54 AM
KarlZimmer

I believe that Equinix has proved that there really is little/no use for raised flooring. Everything is done overhead in a highly efficient and effective method.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:39 PM
jmaresca2005

you can find some information on the subject here >> http://www.ptsdcs.com
Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
packeteer

Hi Guys,

For the most part, not much of a difference. maybe slightly more ventilation, but not worth the trouble. Raised floors serve a better purpose for cleanliness and ease of getting wires out of the way, especially when you start adding more power and have to feed power cables from other floors of the building...hides the clutter instead of bringing it through the top of the rack/cage.

Steve
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Bene

Hello,

http://www.uecorp.com/UECORP/Default.aspx

That should link you to Starline Power Bus. Awesome product!!. We are locked into a basement DC and couldn't do rasied floors (which turned out to be a blessing). This is an overhead power bus that is a bit more expensive on the initial but is extrememly easy to manage. We have been able to add L6-30, L5-30, and standard three prong outlets, as hot swappable without an electrician. We combined this with an overhead cable tray from QSI and it turned out great.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:40 PM
thebigf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine
We have raised floor cooling and it only works well if you have racks that have extractor fans in the top and non mesh doors.

If all of your heat just gets blown out of the back of the rack, through a mesh rear door then there is no point in using raised floor cooling.

Ta

George
I disagree. See my comments in http://www.datacentertalk.com/showthread.php?t=3516

Also, raised floor is grounded so can dissipate static, it provides an easily reconfigurable air plenum and power chase, provides a space for a/c coolant lines, water supply, condensate drains, cabling and a space you can work in without a ladder.

Jamie
Old 04-05-2006, 04:12 PM
thebigf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene
Hello,

http://www.uecorp.com/UECORP/Default.aspx

That should link you to Starline Power Bus. Awesome product!!. We are locked into a basement DC and couldn't do rasied floors (which turned out to be a blessing). This is an overhead power bus that is a bit more expensive on the initial but is extrememly easy to manage. We have been able to add L6-30, L5-30, and standard three prong outlets, as hot swappable without an electrician. We combined this with an overhead cable tray from QSI and it turned out great.
I'd be interested in a cost comparison. Do you know what it cost to do your overhead trays and power bus and what size is your room? That would give me a $/sq. ft. number. Raised floor in my area is quoted at about $22 a sq. ft. new, $12 used installed (CDN $).

Jamie
Old 04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
tork311

This is a good question, but for me I think it is much easier to manage and keep organized especially when you start to fill up. If the cost difference is small I would go with the raised floor delivery. I would also ask myself if the facility does not have raised floor what else are they not providing?