Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Discuss about Datacenter Software/Hardware Related Issues.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Default battery strength

how does one detect the strength of a battery before it starts to cause problems? is there any software to monitor battery room health?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 PM

i'm not extremely proficient when it comes to battery but from what i learnt during my days of college, i can tell you that the battery life depends on the usage and the charge-discharge cycle of individual batteries. the life of one battery may not be the same as the other. so i dont think it is possible to monitor it in a software. however you can set reminders to regularly tweak your battery room
Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Administrator

A major factor in evaluating battery fitness is internal resistance. Alber, Cellwatch and Btech are manufacturers of popular automated battery monitoring systems. Handheld meters are available for manual assays. We have found that regular battery monitoring -- including replacement of bad or weak units -- is essential for UPS reliability, despite battery manufacturers' "maintenance free" claims. Actual periodic testing of the UPS using a load bank is also a good idea.

Ken
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

does the monitoring system come with internal memory to help keep track of the degradation factor of each battery?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 PM

yes, monitoring systems do come with internal memory. the battery stats are logged to generate performance stats, its a common feature...