Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Rising Profile for Data Centers

I'd just like to post something here so that the Marketraise spam threads aren't on top of every forum ...

Here's my question for forum participants: in the past few weeks, the data center industry has been featured in Business Week, the Wall Street Journal and the front page of the NY Times (the Google "secret" data centers). I'm curious whether folks who've been working in the industry for a while sense any change in awareness of data centers. Will this attention have any benefit to your business? Or is it business as usual, only with a few more headlines?

RichM
News and analysis for data center professionals
Old 06-27-2006, 03:18 PM
colorob

Default Data Center resurgence

I'm just a tech that keeps up with current events, but I think we are seeing a natural resurgence in the market for Data Centers. Austin, TX had about 2 million sq ft of data center space before the Dot Bomb, and it lost nearly half of that in the market collapse because of over-building. The big players have had a chance to consolidate and weather the bad times, and now we are in the recovery stage where it is making more sense to get back into the data center business. Hopefully, the lessons have been learned and we don't repeat the mistakes of the Bubble.

I think that Dataside welcomes the media attention because it coincides with our efforts to increase our profile. Austin does not have a clearly dominant player in its data center market. By putting Data Center growth in the headlines, the media attention will help plant the idea in the heads of our prospective customers that having a presence in an established data center is a good solution for their business needs. That should help everyone in the data center business.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

See below for (yet another) article with good info on this trend.

Tier 1 Research notes Data Center Demand ? Developers React
Over the last several months we have been hearing about the demand for data center space. The supply of dot.com data centers that were available after the bubble popped have mostly been acquired or converted. What remains is a new need for added space, but we hope that investors have learned from the last surge in data center real estate. Industry analysts agree that the data center market is expanding rapidly and that demand is outstripping supply in every market in the United States. According to Tier 1 Research (May 2006):
--> more at http://www.datacenterjournal.com/New...article_id=595