Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Default Microwave Links

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me here. I am the system manager for our country wide network. We have just sunk about $350,000 into our core DC revamp (Power, Genny, cooling, storage etc) and a new issue has suddenly appeared (doesn't it always)

I have been asked to link 2 main DCs together. They are approx .75 miles apart. At the moment they are connected via a LES 100 circuit. We already have several hundred MBits capacity to other sites, but for the amount required we think leased is not a reasonable solution.

A lot of moves are happening so we need to up the link. Looking at having private fibre installed is coming with an install price tag of $120,000 plus 7-10% maintainance fee.

I am therefore looking at Microwave/LOS systems and was wondering what type of capacity could be achieved through these systems. Google didn't really provide much hard data.

I have no knowledge ATM of these systems. It is just a basic question as to if it is practical or not. Ideally half a GBit would be ideal if it could be delivered at a reasonable cost.

Also what is the latency affect of Wireless on a LAN network.

What type of cost are we looking at ?

Any ideas/advice would be great.

Ta

Stu
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Try laser

I think you'd need Free Space Optical laser (search for "FSO gigabit") to achieve those kinds of speeds; but haven't seen anything that can run 0.75 miles. For example, MRV Terescope 1000g claims gigabit to 400 meters. Manufacturers claim 100mbps to 155mbps solutions at 3kms.