Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Question Barcode Scanner for the Data Center

Does anyone have any experience/recommendation regarding a device for asset tracking in the Data Center ?

I am the data center facility manager for a company with 4 data centers housing just under 1000 racked servers. I am in the process of ensuring that all equipment is tagged with a barcode and properly recorded.

I've had some experience with a borrorowed Symbol MC70 Handheld Computer It works well for asset tracking purposes but I was wondering if anyone had favorable experiences with any other devices that might be worth looking into.

Also, has anyone tagged their cabinets / racks so that it can be scanned in order to pull up a list of what is racked within ?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:32 PM

We don't use scanner to take our inventory, but I have used to work hostpital and they did use HHP 7200 do their medical inventory. I have helped them to configure.

Hand Held 7200 Handheld Computer - Big Sales, Big Inventory and Free Shipping!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-10-2008, 04:02 AM

I personally have not used any devices. but i have seen my friend using a scanner. He has not invested much and does only a low profile job and not with a much sophisticated 100 rack servers as you said so. I would like to ask you whether it is wise to work with scanner?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Symbol is respected manufacturer of scanners, if you need an easy solution to compile the asset data i would look to TalTech RS232 and bar code software | TAL Technologies data acquisition software, barcode software, bar code ActiveX control, TCP/IP

They have a few different options that may work for you.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:04 AM

I'm currently using the Symbol MC9090. You can purchase it bundled with the Tracerplus software which will allow you to scan, store, and transfer data. The downside to Tracerplus is that the PDA needs to be tethered to a laptop or another computer to transfer scanned data.

I have the Tracerplus Wireless server software that allows us to send updates to the server over the network.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 AM

Barcode scanner will send the data from the barcode to a computer in the same way a keyboard sends keystrokes.