Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Default Looking For Ideas

I'm looking to setup a single cabinet in an office that my friend and I just signed a lease on. We've been hounded about the idea of setting up a cabinet with people saying, "Just use portable hard drives!" Well, we would, but since we record game play and video footage on a daily basis that would fill up a 500GB hard drive in less than two weeks (this includes raw footage, audio files, and final videos) PLUS we're both in a computer based degree path, we're looking to setup a sort of storage rack.

Uses:

Web Server
Mass Storage

I'm new to the whole networking/data center thing, so the more information I can get, the better. We're also looking at using 2nd hand HP Proliant or Dell PowerEdge systems since we're on a tight budget. Basically, what would we need to accomplish the tasks listed above. We're mostly looking for storage that we can access when we're not at the office.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forums. Seems to me your simplest approaches are 1) set up a LAMP environment on your own used server and disks just decide on a strategy to accommodate your growing data storage needs or 2) look into hosting services that will provide the required web and data storage environment for you. Option 1 is pricier to set up and requires IT and network skills on your part; option 2 is easier and cheaper to set up, but may be more costly long term, depending on how your needs grow.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM

I agree with KenB's reply, option 2 would be much appropriate for you in terms of price and availability.You can try free storage services to test whether they are good of you or not. Cloud storage is among the most advanced technology and a part of cloud services that ease the users with easily store, share and manageable storage infrastructure. Some of the big names are; SugarSync, Box, Mozy, JustCloud, ZipCloud, and more...
Cloud Reviews | Cloud Hosting
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 AM

Eh, that's true. It would be easier, but we both like the tangible aspect of servers.