Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List

Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Default Which tools are necessity tools

I know that often we can get away with only a few tools if we are trying to save some money. Which tools would you say are the necessity tools that you use all the time and simply could not conduct business without?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 AM

If you put it like that then the answer would simply be arms and legs I suppose. Tools can make your life in the data center much easier as opposed to having to just rely on good ole manual labour all of the time. If a switch port or ethernet port won't connect you could always just run a new cable if you have no way of checking that cable.

But as it sits right now I will not work in a facility that doesn't have basic comforts such as a Genie lift of some sort. I've injured my back once before trying to hoist servers up into cabinets and I won't do it again. And since some of these machines I work with can be in the 100lb+ range I won't even come close to one without a lift.

I also wouldn't want to have to work without a toner, or signal tester of some sort. It can save you a ton of headaches in the long run. Also things like basic tool kits, flashlights, and etc are pretty common things that should be found in any data center. Throw a termination kit onto that wish list.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Add shop vac and floor tile lifter. Also, see similar threads here
1) http://www.datacentertalk.com/tools-...ard-tools.html
2) http://www.datacentertalk.com/tools-...you-carry.html

Ken
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Doh! Yeah, a tile puller is essential if you're in a raised floor environment. I can't believe I didn't think of that one. Haha.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

I am a big fan of the stand up floor tile pullers...

Vacu-Lifters
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoeclectic View Post
But as it sits right now I will not work in a facility that doesn't have basic comforts such as a Genie lift of some sort. I've injured my back once before trying to hoist servers up into cabinets and I won't do it again. And since some of these machines I work with can be in the 100lb+ range I won't even come close to one without a lift.
You've been working a one previously lifting those weights? Surely with your Health & Safety assessment before you did the work, you should have picked up that you are definitely going to need help / more than one of you to deal with these situations. Moving anything of that weight should always be done in pairs as a minimum to ensure that should there be an issue you are covered with someone able to get further help if something goes wrong.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumie View Post
You've been working a one previously lifting those weights? Surely with your Health & Safety assessment before you did the work, you should have picked up that you are definitely going to need help / more than one of you to deal with these situations. Moving anything of that weight should always be done in pairs as a minimum to ensure that should there be an issue you are covered with someone able to get further help if something goes wrong.
In a perfect world where the streets are made of candy canes and it rains gumdrops.

If you actually get experienced by working in the field you'll become exposed to a variety of working conditions where it may require the use of ingenuity moreso than brawn. And in some cases a little of both.

I've worked for two company's in the past where that was a common occurence trying to work with something that heavy. It's just how things happen to work out is all. Having learned from those experiences is the reason why I choose not to be in an environment anymore where a genie lift is not part of standard equipment.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 AM

Thanks for all the information, I will be sorting through it and putting it to good use here in the next couple of weeks. Some of the information I would have never thought being necessary but understand the point of it now. thanks again and if you come up with anything else please let me know.