Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM

Default "Data Center" as project in architecture school

Hi Everyone,
I am an architecture student and I am currently working on a design of a data center. I am mostly interested in the possibilities of merging a data center with another building type(s) to create a hybrid where the heat of the data centers will be heating the other spaces in the building. It will be located in Boston, MA. I need to make some rudimentary assumptions about the interactions between the two parts of the building. Can you provide any information of what does the proximity of a data center offer. What can those spaces gain from being adjacent to the data center aside from heat. I was imagining IT businesses using that to their advantage but I am not clear whether the physical distance matters anymore.

The subject of the studio is "The Cloud, making invisible visible" therefore we are dealing with form and space of what is largely formless and spaceless until it reaches the end user's screen (possibly 1000s of miles away) I would appreciate any links and suggestions for my research.

Sincerely,
J
Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM

I don't see how that's even a plausible--or good idea--of trying to heat office space with the exhaust heat from the data center. But then again I suppose that would greatly depend on redundant systems and any other system that might be worked into the overall plan.

The biggest advantage I can think of having office space adjacent to the data center is access. Some data centers may have control rooms built adjacently to the DC where a first responder can respond quickly to an issue. Even for SA's and other IT individuals it's an advantage to have easy access to the data center instead of having to trek half a mile across a campus to get to it.

Most data centers I've seen don't have office space im################y adjacent to the DC itself. I know in the particular case of where I work now it would be a bad thing considering that they're planning to expand the data center. Meaning that if there was office space im################y adjacent to it all of that would have to be ripped up. If you don't ever plan to be able to expand the data center that may not be a terrible idea then.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Also data center clients may not want to have their critical data located too close to other people/operations. This poses security issues. It would be too easy to take down a data center by starting a fire on the floor above, especially if the floor was used as office space and uses a traditional sprinkler system.

However i think you should keep working on this concept, you may be onto something. Think of a use (without humans) that may need the heat from a data center to operate.

good luck
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM

I recall reading about a data center in Switzerland that was using their exhaust to heat a local pool.
Heat from data center to warm a pool - Innovation- msnbc.com
I know there are other examples out there if you look. It is a great use of a resource that would otherwise go to waste.

Also another idea being implemented in London - http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...-at-docklands/

Last edited by accidental uptime; 12-22-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

You may want to look in to the new building of Telehouse West in London where the exhaust heat is beeing used by local residents for heating and the such