Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Building a small datacenter

Hi folks,

This year, we have to build a small datacenter for our entreprise - the first size we had thought was about 30 sqm. The datacenter is going to be build from scratch together with the new premises.

Anyway, at this point we have seen a serious interest from Teleco and from a few entreprises located at the same place, therefore we have decided to allocate about 200 sqm of area for the datacenter.

For sure we have to get thru a lot of points : ground, power, cooling, network, security, protection, etc..

As a start point, I have some questions to start the discussion :

- Would you keep only one big room or split in a few rooms ?

- How much would you raise the floor ?

- How would you cool / extract heat the room ? (from the ground with cool air, all the room, water, air, etc.. ?)

Please do not hesitate to provide any useful detail, this might definitely help us.

The DC would be located in Central Europe

Cheers.

Alex
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.egger View Post
Hi folks,

This year, we have to build a small datacenter for our entreprise - the first size we had thought was about 30 sqm. The datacenter is going to be build from scratch together with the new premises.

Anyway, at this point we have seen a serious interest from Teleco and from a few entreprises located at the same place, therefore we have decided to allocate about 200 sqm of area for the datacenter.

For sure we have to get thru a lot of points : ground, power, cooling, network, security, protection, etc..

As a start point, I have some questions to start the discussion :

- Would you keep only one big room or split in a few rooms ?

- How much would you raise the floor ?

- How would you cool / extract heat the room ? (from the ground with cool air, all the room, water, air, etc.. ?)

Please do not hesitate to provide any useful detail, this might definitely help us.

The DC would be located in Central Europe

Cheers.

Alex
Good luck with your venture!
I'm really interested - what makes you build your own dc rather than using any of the existing ones?
Planning to include providing colocation space?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

Hi Alex,

What does your business require is probably a good place to start - and then to expand upon that thinking into the future a little bit.

I think one of the major questions you need to ask is - what is the availability of power, and how much power do I need to allocate per rack. THen from that, go back to the power company and get appropriate costings for providing the X kilo/megawatts required for your facility.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM

I'm not a salesman for the company and I don't use this product, but I do like the idea of a totally encased system where you're just cooling the racks and not the whole room. If you contacted the local vendor for this product, they could possibly show you a customer in your area that is using this product (if one exists). I'd be curious to see if any of the forum members are using it and how they feel about it.

"InfraStruXure® fully integrates power, cooling, and environmental management within a rack-optimized design. The APC Design Portal automates the process of designing the optimum system. These customized systems are then built from standardized components which are modular, manageable, and pre-engineered to work together."

APC Product Information for Cooling Solutions

Good luck and let us know how your coming along.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Administrator

We use APC's Hot Aisle Containment system as well as their Rack Air Containment system with good results. The design has several advantages for energy and space efficiency, modularity, scalability and rapid, low-impact buildout. For comparison, you may also want to look at Rittal's Cold Aisle Containment System.

Ken
Old 04-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Hey Alex

You may want to have a look at the blog we kept of our recent Datacentre build in the UK - Open Hosting Manchester Datacentre Build Blog -

It might give you some ideas

Rgds

Chris