Go Back   Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums > General DataCenter Discussion Forum > Data center general discussion and solution

Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM

we use Rittal which are very sturdy and they even design 42U cabinets with 10U private lockable. APC are nice and usually seen everywhere nowadays, but we have found that APC are flimsy compared to Rittal.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 PM

I would add another vote for APC. Most of the reasons have already been posted.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM

As for Rittal cabinets. The most common version used in DC’s is the TS8 and this cabinet does have a design limitation when it comes to DC server cabinets. There is a gap between the front of the cabinet and the 19” mounting rails that allows hot air to recirculate back to the front. While the size of this gap varies depending on where the front rails are positioned, I calculated that the minimum open area is equivalent to leaving out a 1RU blanking panel. There can also be a very large gap at the top and bottom of the rack which will cause recirculation.

I have seen one DC where the RFM made sure that blanking panels were always fitted but due the mounting rail positioning the gap was so large that a young lady was able to put her hand around the side. I can still vividly remember the look of shock on his face when it was pointed out to him…. with the CIO present.

There are a number of solutions to this problem from both Rittal and Third party suppliers but I feel that the best solution is to not use this series. There are other series from Rittal that don’t have this design limitation, but they are more expensive.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Well i think Server Rack Package1 will be sufficient for your requirements for other information visit this site: //65.18.175.49/onlinecatalog/server-rack/wrk/network-enclosure-cabinets.htm
Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 AM

There are numbers of model available, I would like to suggest you to concentrate on the following points then go ahead for cabinets:

• Server Rack Cooling
• Server Rack Power
• Select an Appropriately-Sized Server Rack
• Physical Security.

Last edited by jackson; 11-24-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
As for Rittal cabinets. The most common version used in DC’s is the TS8 and this cabinet does have a design limitation when it comes to DC server cabinets. There is a gap between the front of the cabinet and the 19” mounting rails that allows hot air to recirculate back to the front. While the size of this gap varies depending on where the front rails are positioned, I calculated that the minimum open area is equivalent to leaving out a 1RU blanking panel. There can also be a very large gap at the top and bottom of the rack which will cause recirculation.

I have seen one DC where the RFM made sure that blanking panels were always fitted but due the mounting rail positioning the gap was so large that a young lady was able to put her hand around the side. I can still vividly remember the look of shock on his face when it was pointed out to him…. with the CIO present.

There are a number of solutions to this problem from both Rittal and Third party suppliers but I feel that the best solution is to not use this series. There are other series from Rittal that don’t have this design limitation, but they are more expensive.
Quick and dirty solution, take an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and cut it into thirds, long-ways....two pieces of tape and done. If you don't want to use fibrous material, talk to your a local plastics plant...you can get some cheap material.

The main goal there is to hold back hot air...so the material you use doesn't have to be a 1/4" steel plate...just the rigidity of paper.

By using paper on my gaps and making a cellophane ceiling, I reduced my upper rack temps 6 degrees at a ridiculously low cost.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Default dell 4210

you look around you can get the dell 4210 v2 for $150-$200 a pop in 10 or more.
800 Water St Suite 202, Jacksonville, Fl 32204

Old 12-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Here is a source to look at various manufacturers of server cabinet. http://www.server-rack-online.com/.

They recomend you consider the following:
1) Server Rack Cooling - Fully Perforated Server Racks or Fully Sealed Server Racks
2) Server Rack Power
3) Appropriate Size
4) Physical Security
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM

There is a video that explains that gives recommendations for different data centers http://www.serverracksandcable.com/d...o-consider.php .

There are a bunch of options on http://www.serverracksandcable.com and more videos and articles about the topic
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Default More videos

Please have a look at more videos on server cabinets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTn_mpvb7n8