View Single Post

Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DrHays

It really depends on some other details you left out. Are you working with a two post rack or four post, what type of shelf and just how heavy is the device?

From your measurements it sounds like it’s just over three U, if you are in a two post rack with a two post shelf I would suggest making sure you use all mounting holes available on the shelf to attach it to the rack. As well as choosing a mounting location low in the rack. Getting Small ratchet straps you can then secure the device to the shelf.

If however you are in a four post with a full shelf I would stick with the Velcro or some other disposable means of securing it to the shelf. Four posts are hard to maneuver in as they get more crowded, so you want some type of straps you don't mind cutting and replacing.

This is what I have seen many individuals do while conducting my Datacenter Migration projects

Other than those things there really is no need for any other securing for the device, if you want to get the device secured directly to the rack and not just the shelf you could use the bars that cross at the center of a lot of four posters. Just mount the shelf so it places the device next to those side rails and secure. Again, seems a little much.

As for the blanking panel, it would be good for air flow direction but won’t, as you suggest, assist in holding the device in place. Those panels pop our if you sneeze on them too hard, let alone securing a device to them