View Single Post

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Here is a 3 step solution to solve this issue. It is extremely overkill in some regards.

1) Install a lacing bar at the back of the rack in order to zip tie the cord to it (put the cable in a loop before tieing).
2) Install a sticky zip tie mount on to the switch (you can get decent brands; Panduit makes a pretty decent mount if you prep the surface with a cleaning solvent first).
3) Install an RPS to the switch. For like $750 you can add a 2nd power supply that will supply power to 6 devices via the DC input inlet.

I could also recommend a 4th step which is to make it so people aren't walking in to the switches. I would have to kick a person out of my datacenter if they were stupid enough to walk in to a rack of switches! If the stupid people cannot be removed, put a couple pylons behind the switches.

I guess if you are daring enough, you could get a zip tie mount that can be attached with a screw and use a really really tiny self tapping screw to put a really really tiny hole in the back of the switch.