View Single Post

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Hi, I'm new here so be gentle... I think you're looking at this a bit backward. You'll want to look at what your current needs are and expected growth. Then you need to compile this data on several fronts - such as Power, floor space, rack units, cooling etc.

The actual building is cheap to build by comparison to the environmental infrastructure. Knowing this, if you determine your maximum power and feed this into the building - then you should build all of your support features around this number. An example is that if you need 6 megawatts, feed at least 7-9 into the building. If you know that a blade server takes X rack units and you will be able to support X amount based on 20kW - 40kW per rack you can find the amount of rack units you'll need. You can then identify the quantity of racks and the space needed to house this number of racks.

The cooling required should absolutely and always match the total power you brought into the building via BTU conversion. You must also understand how you want to break up the space. You can have one massive Data Center with smaller side rooms for the power and cooling equipment or you can have multiple smaller Data Centers with equipment rooms - this is more of a personal preference.

I have my opinions on size surely and I have my design preferences, but you always have to do the math to get it right. As far as cleanliness and orderliness - make it happen, set the rules and stick to them. I have no misrouted wiring and I have nothing on the floor. Dirt and corrugate is a servers worst enemy...