View Single Post

Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Schumie

A lot of the stuff we use has been written in house for dealing with management, or is already open source and we have made some tweaks to adjust for our own needs.

The big thing that I found lacking was good IP address management, so we've had to build our own system in house from the ground up - it's taken a little while, but with the previous integration of the businesses we've ended up with over half a million addresses now, and tens of thousands of connections which all makes for some interesting management.

I'd agree with the above, SNMP is a great great tool, and pretty much any large scale deployment of equipment I do will be query able with minimal configuration, or scripted to give back results so that we can graph and produce trended data to alert on.

Monitoring systems wise - for traffic we use a combination of netflow tools, and cacti for general traffic graphing. Servers we have a very customised hobbit install with specific tests for all our server types and alerting based on specific criteria.