View Single Post

Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Newbie : Data Center Deployment

Hi Guys,

I am new here and need some of the gurus to advice on some of the questions I have in mind about setting up a data center.

Generally, I am working with a small hosting company in Malaysia and right now we are planning of switching the data center to a new provider. At the moment, we are co locating our servers with one of the player in Malaysia - they provide bandwidth, IP and server rack for us. But we have decided to change as of the poor network and support we have received.

Moving to the next stage, we will be getting our own IP block from APNIC and the same, we will be leasing bandwidth and server rack as well as floor space from 3rd party. After calculating the cost at the new provider, it's about 40-50% of overhead of what we are paying right now.

Thus, we have an idea of perhaps getting our floor space and pulling our own bandwidth as of the equipment that we will be purchasing - router, core switch ..etc is almost the same as we will be putting on an own DC. However, we are stuck on how does those bandwidth provider play the games - does it as easy as pulling the cable and setting up the exchange with other ISP ? How much will that cost of getting our own cabling with own bandwidth ? Where should we source for this kind of information and provider?

Thanks for your time for reading this :-)