View Single Post

Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Keith Send a message via MSN to Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
I believe that Equinix has proved that there really is little/no use for raised flooring. Everything is done overhead in a highly efficient and effective method.
Karl, While equinix has proven that this can work, they have still had issues over time with higher density support. When I worked at equinix, I was assigned a ticket to reconfigure a cage in which google used to be in. Google had a very high density installation within that area of the building. Customers across the hall would complain about higher than expected temperatures. When I was reconfiguring the cage layout, I set the work order on the ladder and the extreme airflow required to get the air from the ceiling to the ground was so intense that it sent my work order flying across the room. I literally had to get a clip coard and a hat to finish that cage build.

So it brings me to a point of whether or not overhead cooling really will benefit you in an instance where high density cooling is required. You risk choking air to other areas of your datacenter in order to give higher volume to your hot spots. A proper balance is hard to achieve. I am a big fan of raised floor cooling in the fact that it is so easily reconfigurable. Raised flooring has gotten a bad reputation over time due to the mismanagement of cabling under the floors. The more cables and trays that you place under the floor, the more of an issue you will have with air dams and hot spots. That being said, I am a big fan of raised floors combined with an overhead cabling system. With the proper configured floor tile layout added with an adequate return air system overhead in your hot aisles, you should not have that much of an issue. Proper planning is key!

There is another risk that is also covered and that is the potential for water leaks throughout your datacenter. If your area has the ability to flood, that 2ft space under the floor could save your equipment...thats assuming your cables are overhead.

Just my 2 cents worth.