Thread: Raised Floors
View Single Post

Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 PM

I cannot speak directly to which design is better, but I would like to engage this group in a discussion about raised floor since it's what I do for a living. We are trying to look internally to what we can do in the raised floor field to make data centers that use raised floors more effecient. One option that we have recently come out with is getting rid of the high pressure laminate surface from the panel all together. We would use an exposed concrete surface floor panel and apply an ESD sealer to the panel. This would also give you the option of screwing down the panels in all four corners so that it walks better, has verifiable positive metal contact for grounding, and pushes down the panel to the gasketed understructure to reduce air-leakage. It would also give you the ablity to engrave panels to mark equipment underneath the raised floor. The concrete panel has a flat metal underside so you can actually create plenum barriers under the raised floor to direct the cold air to areas where you really need it. The best part of this solution is that it will actually reduce the construction costs as well. A down side to this solution is that you would have to remove the screws in order to remove the panel. Any feedback you can give me would be appreciated.