View Single Post

Old 07-27-2005, 09:09 AM
MadroosterTony

Default Can any DC Match This?

We are looking to add a second DC, but have been very spoiled by our current DC.

First let me say once more, we are looking to add a second DC, not move from our current one, just looking to add some flexibility in our network.

We have been with several datacenters over the years: ThePlanet, EV1, Gnax, LayeredTech, and Others, but none compete with the service we presently are getting.

1. All support tickets are responded to in less then 10 minutes. Not always resolved in that time, but we atleast know someone is working on the issue. Most responses come in less then 5, but 10 minutes has been the longest. We are not talking automated responses, but a real response, from a real person

2. When we first went with the datacenter, they happen to assign us an IP block that was blacklisted, once we realized it, made one phone call, and was assigned an entire new block of IPs, never seen by the net before

3. They have "set aside" a block of IPs for us. We are allowed to assign these as needed. We do not have to notify them at all, we arent even charged for them. This is all based on the fact that we use them with restrant. (name servers, ssl certs, etc).

4. They provide free server monitoring in real time, and will login if provide access to help search for the problem. This is done at no extra charge. They also call the admins if they problem is apparent, or appears to be major.

5. They allow to add servers one at time, at full rack pricing. Basically full rack price / 42U = $price to add 1 server

6. They custom build servers to our specs at cost. When I say at cost, they do not make a dime on them. i.e. (P4 3.2 HT, 2 GB of Ram, 250 GB Primary Drive, 120 GB Seconday drive - $949). And they use nothing but quality components. Asus Motherboards, WD and IBM Hard Drives, etc..

Ok Downsides (LOL):

1. They only use Level3. Not that we have ever been down, and AOL and Yahoo are in the same DC, so we arent that worried. LOL

2. Side effect of downside #1 - BW isnt cheap. We pay about 1.5x what we would everywhere else, but we feel all the positives above out weigh this option.

Does anyone have this kind of service at any DC they are with???