View Single Post

Old 06-14-2006, 06:42 PM

I'm looking at the IBM Heat eXchanger doors right now for a Blade Server Deployment. Honestly, I'm pretty comfortable with the water in the data center (it's already running to each of my air handlers) and as I know the guys that have done our facilities work, I trust Cornbread (that's one of the contractors names, really!) and his skills with a torch when it comes to soldering up the copper pipes that feed the Coolant Distribution Unit.

Honestly, I'm more happy with the quality of work I get out of the same Contractors we've had working here at CNN for the past 10 years than I am with some of my co-workers that deploy systems into the Data Center. Given how the Electricians work with dangerous voltages and the HVAC guys work with dangerous voltages, heavy objects and flammable fuels, their capabilities and skills have less room for error. I still monitor their work, but if I'm around, I more or less trust them implicitly. I guess it does help that we've had the same contractors for the past 10 years.