View Single Post

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM

I can think of many tools someone who works in and manages a datacenter would need. Both soft and hard types. For starters, good procedures that are enforced and policies to support both. That alone eliminates many human errors that can happen in a datacenter. Monitoring software and messaging systems with properly configured thresholds would be another tool that is a must have. This eliminates false alerts and improves high severity alerting , sometimes before it becomes high severity, if you have the ability to monitor to a very granular level. Then there is security, both for access and monitoring. Depeding on your needs, you need to monitor who is going in and how they get in not to mention, watching them while they are in there. Now to the fun stuff, the hard tools. yes a laptop is nice, we all have cellphones, no biggie. but what about properly equipped crash carts, server lifts, equipment carts and tools? I can not imagine having employees working without safe and comfortable equipment. Nothing is worse than seeing a network tech or vendor having to hold thier laptop for hours, the cost of a nice cart with keyboard, video and mouse ability, not to mention a spare UPS (i find the ups adds weight on the bottom and stabilizes a tall narrow cart quite well) is minimal considered how much faster and easier it is for the techs to work on. Then a good server lift for the heavy stuff and this way you dont need 2 techs at a site after hours for a lot of install/removals, one can do it on most equipment. These tools can pay for themselves over time, so sell the return of investment when arguing for the purchase. And one last thought, I personally have on me my leathermen at all times, that thing does so much for a quick fix to most small problems and I also have a belt clipped pouch with rack nut tool, coal miners led flashlight, small hand held flashlight, needle nose pliers, tape measure, razor knife, linemans pliers, infrared temperature guage and small laser. There isnt anything I can not do on a regular basis with that tool set! Did I miss anything!? Let me know!