View Single Post

Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Cernst,
I'd be interested in more details about how you are using the SysUpTime package with your power strips and UPS units -- is it SNMP-based?

Ken
It is completely snmp based. You can setup custom monitors where you specify hostnames and then OIDs. Sometimes the values received are not usable (server tech temperatures come in as 700 for 70 degrees), so you can perform math expressions on them to massage them as you want.

I can send you some screen shots, email me at corey.ernst@yrcw.com.

Basically I use it to record data either once a minute or once every 10 minutes. I can then go back and review the data in chart form if I wanted to. It can generate scheduled reports (which unit is going above threshold and how often). It can even forward traps on to other SNMP trap servers...but I haven't really messed with that just yet.

Based on the MIBs for the units, depends on what you can do with it. My APC units have the ability to notify me when batteries go bad...so that is something I watch. I also watch battery capacity, runtime, temperatures, input voltages, output voltages...stuff like that.