View Single Post

Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attagirl View Post
I like the question about running solaris or windows. I find that the stability of windows really is not the best and would like to know some of the other options available.
Windows server is not a terrible OS to use depending on the application and how well the Win administrators maintain the environment. I personally would never deploy a Win server in my network, but a lot of businesses do because that is what people are more familiar with on the user level. Also there are some corporate applications that will not run on anything but a Win server.

Where I am now we use Exchange for office email and run many other applications--controlled by other groups--to run services that are not available or compatible on Linux, AIX, or Solaris. Our Blackberry server software only runs on Win so we have to have BB servers built onto Win systems. The admins do a very good job in maintaining the environment so that it becomes transparent to the end user. So for a few things out there you cannot get away from deploying a Win server.