View Single Post

Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM

From a carrier perspective... without going "POP"

If you had a fiber based provider in the area where you anticipate the data center to be... you can see what revenue commitment it would take to bring your building "on net". In doing this, the carrier would terminate service in a common area. You would charge your customers to do the cross connect into their cage. By having a fiber based provider, virtually any carrier can buy last mile connectivity from that provider.

For example, I work for Time Warner Telecom. We provide our facilities into a number of data centers. We can service our customers in your facility via that connection, we can service you via that connection and any carrier that wants to use our loop can provide service to your customers.

In Tampa, we built fiber directly to Company X. Company X bought Ethernet Internet from us and Level 3. Company X sells their customers Internet Access in their space. We are not allowed to sell to them directly, that's how Company X get money. We can, however, provide transport circuits directly to their customers.

If Company X allowed us to, we could easily service their customers directly. Ultimately, it is up to the Data Center. They make a nice profit off of the resell.

Having a fiber based provider eliminates the need to order additional larger circuits for capacity. It also allows you to provide your customer a quicker turnaround on getting circuits installed. AND... if you choose to resell the circuits instead of your customer directly buying it, you can pass along the SLAs to your customers.

I know that in our market, Tampa, Time Warner Telecom, Level 3 Communications and Bright House Networks are still doing fiber builds to customers. Without knowing your area, I can't recommend a company.

Just a thought from a carrier perspective.