View Single Post

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Hello
One cause of excess I/O on a SQL Server is page splitting. Page splitting occurs when an index or data page becomes full, and then is split between the current page and a newly allocated page. While occasional page splitting is normal, excess page splitting can cause excessive disk I/O and contribute to slow performance.

If you want to find out if your SQL Server is experiencing a large number of page splits, monitor the SQL Server Access Methods object: Page Splits/sec. If you find out that the number of page splits is high, consider increasing the fill factor of your indexes. An increased fill factor helps to reduce page splits because there is more room in data pages before it fills up and a page split has to occur.

What is a high Page Splits/sec? There is no simple answer, as it somewhat depends on your system's I/O subsystem. But if you are having disk I/O performance problems on a regular basis, and this counter is over 100 on a regular basis, then you might want to experiment with increasing the fill factor to see if it helps or not.