View Single Post

Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM

I don't see how that's even a plausible--or good idea--of trying to heat office space with the exhaust heat from the data center. But then again I suppose that would greatly depend on redundant systems and any other system that might be worked into the overall plan.

The biggest advantage I can think of having office space adjacent to the data center is access. Some data centers may have control rooms built adjacently to the DC where a first responder can respond quickly to an issue. Even for SA's and other IT individuals it's an advantage to have easy access to the data center instead of having to trek half a mile across a campus to get to it.

Most data centers I've seen don't have office space im################y adjacent to the DC itself. I know in the particular case of where I work now it would be a bad thing considering that they're planning to expand the data center. Meaning that if there was office space im################y adjacent to it all of that would have to be ripped up. If you don't ever plan to be able to expand the data center that may not be a terrible idea then.