View Single Post

Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
One thing to also consider if whether or not you have offsite requirements for tape rotations. If you do, you will be doing the back-ups on-site and having to use a company like Iron Mountain to do off-site archiving. One thing we did, at an old company I worked for, was fedex a locked box to a different office for a week and that office would send us their tapes. We would take their box and hold it for a week and fedex it back. That made it so that we could restore from systems that were on our network from a different location. Both of these have costs from them.

I am neutral on the outsourced vs. in-house. The outsourced makes sense to me since you can restore from anywhere; regardless where you have to restore. If your building burns to the ground, it makes sense to have storage on standby to restore at a different location.
For tapes I would recommend an off-site tape library located in a proffesional datacenter. The library automaticaly takes care of tape rewinding, moves data to a new tape once tape quality starts to decrease etc. All the big brands offer this solutions at various sizes ... from 4 tapes automated libraries up to almost unlimited tapes for enterprise solutions.