View Single Post

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The device that thecommis linked looks a little big for what I need. I will look into it though. The device that sweetgreen linked looks alot better but I have no idea where to get one. I'll have to do some research there too.

Vincent has some good ideas and I am working on creating a visio diagram to track some changes I would like to make.

A little background on my problem:
Around 9pm one night I noticed that temp were rising around our datacenter, about 10 degrees. We have temp sensors on a few of our racks. I went and checked the temps coming from our floor tiles and they were a few degrees warm but nothing major.

Our customer in that room of the datacenter recently launched a worldwide MMO game so they were constantly changing stuff in the environment. We did not really have a baseline because of all the changes. I just assumed that since I could not detect a problem that it was something our customer was doing.

I left work around midnight and asked the night ######## to keep an eye on it. I went to bed around 6:30am and temps kept rising. We were now around 74 degrees F. Around 9am the day shift called me and told me we were at 85 degrees. I asked them to call our service people because there was obviously a problem. They did not. They called around 1:30pm.

I got a call around 2pm from our service people that they were on their way to the datacenter. When I got to work at 4pm I was informed that our evaporator coil had froze up. The root cause was low freon pressure.

Since then I have been trying to come up with a way to detect this problem. I cannot visually check the freon levels, I could visually check the coil but that would involve taking panels off of the Liebert and I don't want anyone doing that but me for safety reasons. So I thought if we could measure a decrease in airflow/airspeed that this would be an indicator that we could follow up on.

Our datacenter can function if we lose a CRAC unit, but temps go up to what i would consider max if we do lose one. We have 4 rooms in our datacenter that are separated by walls. The raised floor and drop ceiling however are all connected. Our 4 Lieberts are pulling air from the drop ceiling and pushing air into the raised floor. When 1 goes out the other 3 have to compensate. It works ok but not great.

I am going to look into the visio doc and the CFD stuff once I get a sensor to do this with. Ill keep you guys updated with my findings.

Thanks again,
OBXandos