Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data center general discussion and solution (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What is important to YOU in a data center? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1711)

Jameson 06-01-2005 01:06 AM

What is important to YOU in a data center?

Hello,
I have been in this business now a short time and I am really getting a feel for the types of things people are looking for. It seems that with most product/service offerings there is no 'one-size-fits-all' solution....the same is certainly true for data centers. My personal findings are that there are 2 broad classes of data center customers (those looking for full racks or more):

1) Those who want the best space/BW for their equipment regardless of price.
2) Those who want the space that meets their needs but is easy(er) on their bottom line.

If you wouldn't mind, please rank the following criteria as you see their importance to your data center.

Security (Card Readers, Palm Readers, staff cameras etc.)
Power Infrastructure (Multiple Commercial Feeds, Generators, UPS)
Cooling
Connectivity (Number of carriers/providers)
Price (Racks, Cage Space, Cross Connects, Remote Hands)
Fiber Diversity (outside building routes)
Support Staff (Efficient Technicians, 24/7 support)
Aesthetics (How the datacenter looks/cleanliness/lighting/design etc)

Please feel free to add other comments on what else you find important or things you could care less about.

Thank you much,

Deathstarr 06-01-2005 04:45 AM

I Would Say Stability, security, location, and Support. Oh ya, good price.

Plus: They Need everythig You said I would say if a dc had all that and a greater price it would be best that it would be sold out ewhen word got out.

MegaWatt 06-30-2005 06:41 AM

Power... that's it. everything else is a plus and can be added

When I look for a datacenter, I just tell them how much power I need (which also assumes heat rejection). If the place was not desinged at a N+1 or better, did not follow standard security protocols, have access to network carriers, etc. I would never even ask about the power in the first place. How you lay out cabs/racks servers/kit is dependand on the dynamics of the facility..

1U servers are approching 300w, so 30 of these will fill up a single cab to only 75% and be running at 9kW. So, what's important?

Jatos 06-30-2005 01:47 PM

Redundancy and speed at which I can access the network are the things that bother me.

MegaWatt 07-03-2005 02:37 PM

Jatos, I agree with you in that redundancy is comportant in todays market; however, this is changing rapidly in many dotcom sectors as post 911 proceedres are requiring an entire datacenter can be taken out, yet the service (applications) are suppose to survive. TThis means that is it never a safe bet to be in a single datacenter as you must assume it will have a failure. This suggests that datacenters could be built for must less cost as you may only need "ride though" technologies to clean the power and "N-N" levels or redundancy (which means not even a UPS). It might be interesting to note that over the past 24 months the majority of the outages in datacenters around the world have be due to the failure of the very components that were in place to protect them. (such as failed PDUs, bad STS cut-overs, UPS problems, etc.).

The speed at which you access the network should be between you and your network providor, and in my opinion has nothting to do with the datacenter.