Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Server Discussion (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Scrapheap server (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15175)

Oigen 02-01-2009 10:30 PM

Scrapheap server

Can't you just build a server from scratch, using second hand parts and what not and still be competitive? We're in a crisis situation, and I think that this would be a solution.

whcdavid 02-03-2009 03:37 AM

You can definitely use second hand parts and can be competitive. These are electronic parts and shouldn't be an issue. Anybody has any comments?

Schumie 02-03-2009 10:19 AM

My only concerns with using second hand parts would be warranty and support related issues.

What could seem like a cost in the beginning could turn out much costly later on when you have downtime or the such. Also, take into account the build time - the cost of your people is generally the biggest expense to any business, is it worth their time building from scratch?

Once all of that is covered off, then you should have quite a clear cut decision on your hands.

Oigen 02-05-2009 09:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. My primary concern would also be this: support and warranty. But I'm sure that I can find dealers of second hand parts that are willing to throw in some sort of warranty.

Zordani 02-07-2009 04:11 PM

Why go for such a server? I'd always put the extra money needed to buy a new one. So much better in terms of quality and support, you can't really compare it.

GNAX|TJ 03-31-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schumie (Post 22813)
My only concerns with using second hand parts would be warranty and support related issues.

What could seem like a cost in the beginning could turn out much costly later on when you have downtime or the such. Also, take into account the build time - the cost of your people is generally the biggest expense to any business, is it worth their time building from scratch?

Once all of that is covered off, then you should have quite a clear cut decision on your hands.

I agree totally. You would also want to do a little research on the places you may be purchasing from.

cernst 04-09-2009 04:31 PM

wasn't this how google started out? they had farms and farms of cheaper PCs/Servers, where if they lost 1 or 10, it wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

oliver6419 06-22-2010 06:35 AM

We're in a crisis situation, and I think that this would be a solution.

You can definitely use second hand parts and can be competitive. These are electronic parts and shouldn't be an issue. Anybody has any comments.

eilert 12-04-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whcdavid (Post 22805)
You can definitely use second hand parts and can be competitive. These are electronic parts and shouldn't be an issue. Anybody has any comments?

Yes whcdavid, I agree with what you said that being electric part there can not be any issue, but i just wants to say that,sometimes it may happened that there may be some problem in the part and hence its owner has sold it. So be careful while purchasing any second hand thing. Have a good luck.

eilert 01-11-2011 04:54 PM

As second thought, I also consider the mannual of the equipment, an healty precaution will be to follow the caution listed in mannual. I do buy those second hand things from reliable person as Big DCs or friends.