Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Server Discussion (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Extended Warrenty (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13669)

Cymru 09-14-2008 03:41 PM

Extended Warrenty

We are predominantly an HP shope although htere are a few dozen Dells, we always buy with the three year HP care pack, but don't take out extended warrenty, we go to a third party, but they are a 'bit' inept - Do you guys extend your warrenties, or just replace after three years?

whcdavid 09-15-2008 10:53 PM

We normally replace the servers which is more reliable since we don't need to do many upgrades.

taki 09-26-2008 02:26 AM

We normally upgrade our servers on a 2 year rotating schedule. After two years the risk of failure out weighs the cost of replacement, especially after selling the old ones.

attagirl 11-29-2008 11:27 PM

I think that it is wise to upgrade on a rotating schedule as this would head off any possible failures. I think that replacement is also the better choice and this is what I would do as well.

Neoeclectic 12-01-2008 08:04 PM

Naw, don't extend warranties; it's not worth it.

Typically, most envrionments will cycle their servers anywhere from 2-5 years. Personally, I think 5 years is a long time but it makes sense for bigger, more expensive systems.

Sometimes you can engage into a leasing agreement where you lease the servers and return them at the end of the lease agreement or at the EOL. This has huge advantages over straight out purchasing and owning servers. The company I'm with now makes it a standard practice to purchase and they kick themselves in the rear every time because then they have to worry about extending the warranties, disposal when those servers are finally done, and purchasing replacements and basically going through that vicious cycle all over again.

Just lease and when the lease runs out (which the warranty should be good regardless) just upgrade to something newer that comes with a new warranty. Sometimes you'll find it is cheaper to follow that route than it is to stay with old equipment and continously extending the warranty on dying machines.

SharedLayer 12-10-2008 11:10 PM

We always take extended warranty on our servers, in my opinion it is worth the money.
Even if we don't use the machines for the time they are "warranted" it's always a nice thing to add to your "ebay listing" when selling the boxes.

We have had a few servers brake down after 3 years and got a brand new box, so it's worth the money.
Besides that it gives you the peace of mind that you don't get into unforseen investments.

Keith 12-12-2008 06:16 PM

Most of our servers get covered under extended warranties. As an ASP, it becomes tricky rotating out servers once you get the servers and applications working the way they should be. We do all of our development in house so we do not get the luxury of having developers that have to continually code around new platforms.

Obviously, in order to do this, we have redundancy all over the place so that we can maintain the 99.999% SLA's we have with a couple customers and we also purchase the 4 hour response service. I can safely say that I have only had to call HP a few times in the past year on my servers. 4 times were for drive swaps and 1 time was for a DOA server that they shipped us.

Oh, and just for the record, I have not had to call dell at all! ;-)

attagirl 12-15-2008 02:02 PM

I usually do not extend my warranties because if there is going to be a problem it usually happens outside the warranty period anyway. I think it is a waste of money to purchase these and only gives the store more money for nothing.

princee18 01-28-2009 04:38 AM

Well, i would never go for extended warranty, its totally wastage of money. Though extended warranty may make you feel more secure but it does not always pay back the money you invested.

Oigen 02-05-2009 09:59 AM

Never extend warranties. Always upgrade or replace the servers completely. A server has a life span of 2 - 4 years before becoming obsolete. You want to stay ahead of your game, so just make sure you've got new servers all the time.