Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data center general discussion and solution (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Raised Flooring? Where do I find it? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29586)

WorldHost 09-23-2011 03:26 AM

Raised Flooring? Where do I find it?

I'm building a great server setup at work and we're looking to revamp the outdated system. For cooling and obvious reasons, i'd like to put in raised flooring, especially for the (what seems like miles) of wires that we need to run. The problem is, that i've called flooring companies and noone has or can get them. Is there a predefined kit online that I could buy? Any ideas here?

KenB 09-23-2011 01:00 PM

Where are you located?

Ken

ABurton 09-23-2011 02:30 PM

I have seen people use pallets to raise up the area where the servers are; and I have seen people use those wire mesh shelves to increase air flow. Just a couple different thoughts.

NetworkManager 09-24-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABurton (Post 43090)
I have seen people use pallets to raise up the area where the servers are; and I have seen people use those wire mesh shelves to increase air flow. Just a couple different thoughts.

Wouldn't there be a fire risk involved with wood underneath something that could possibly get extremely hot?

B.Maclean 09-25-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetworkManager (Post 43117)
Wouldn't there be a fire risk involved with wood underneath something that could possibly get extremely hot?

Not if you used the plastic pallets. Another possibility might be concrete blocks; if you turned them all the same direction, they'll have those openings through which you can run wires.

DataCenterStaff 09-29-2011 12:39 AM

That's a great idea, it would be super solid and there would be plenty of air and space for anything possible. Has anyone had any pest problems with that open space in a temperature controlled room? We're pest free but next door they have had a rat problem in their warehouse, which would connect to our new server space.. Maybe steel nets between the concrete blocks?

Bali 09-30-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataCenterStaff (Post 43197)
That's a great idea, it would be super solid and there would be plenty of air and space for anything possible. Has anyone had any pest problems with that open space in a temperature controlled room? We're pest free but next door they have had a rat problem in their warehouse, which would connect to our new server space.. Maybe steel nets between the concrete blocks?

That might help keep pests away, but of course the best solution is to pest spray the whole building fairly regularly. And to keep people from dropping food around the place, and so on.