Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data Center Prodcuts Reviews, Tools, Tips and Check List (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Best tool to find packet loose (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8528)

marchen 08-16-2007 03:39 AM

Best tool to find packet loose

Hi,

What is the best tool to find packet look in server level? Is there any standard tool out there?

john1544 04-16-2009 07:08 AM

Packet sniffer is a program which monitors network traffic which passes through your computer.A packet sniffer which runs on your PC connected to the internet using a modem,can tellyou your current IP address as well as the IP addresses of the web servers whose sites you are visting.

Schumie 04-16-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1544 (Post 26875)
Packet sniffer is a program which monitors network traffic which passes through your computer.A packet sniffer which runs on your PC connected to the internet using a modem,can tellyou your current IP address as well as the IP addresses of the web servers whose sites you are visting.

That doesn't really help though john as it's a little bit overkill :)

First place I would start is with ping :)

green 04-16-2009 12:41 PM

I'm not sure about what you exactly require from your question but, if you are talking about a software to monitor packets being sent over the network, I would highly recommend wireshack.

I've been using it as a network troubleshooting tool for a while now.

green 04-16-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schumie (Post 26879)
That doesn't really help though john as it's a little bit overkill :)

First place I would start is with ping :)

Schumie, ping is only for testing whether a device is up or down. I don't think that is what the poster is looking for.

So your answer does not help either.

Schumie 04-18-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green (Post 26886)
Schumie, ping is only for testing whether a device is up or down. I don't think that is what the poster is looking for.

And how does it do that? By traversing the network ;)

As the per the thread subject "Best tool to find packet loose" (I'm guessing "loose" was meant to be "loss" :))

In the very initial, their is no need to use wireshark, tcpdump, etc.. you first need to identify where your loss is happening! Ping and traceroute (MTR is a good combination!) if going to provide you an invaluable resource in starting to narrow down where you think the loss is happening.

ReadyRick 04-19-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green (Post 26886)
Schumie, ping is only for testing whether a device is up or down.

That's not necessarly true. Ping reports the roundtrip time to a device and also reports whether or not there was actual packet loss. :)

Alexandre 04-20-2009 03:06 PM

I us to use MTR. It's very useful and produces an advanced traceroute.

You can download a windows version here WinMTR - 0.8

for CentOS
#yum install mtr

green 04-21-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schumie (Post 26937)
And how does it do that? By traversing the network ;)

As the per the thread subject "Best tool to find packet loose" (I'm guessing "loose" was meant to be "loss" :))

In the very initial, their is no need to use wireshark, tcpdump, etc.. you first need to identify where your loss is happening! Ping and traceroute (MTR is a good combination!) if going to provide you an invaluable resource in starting to narrow down where you think the loss is happening.

I guess thats right. :D

If the poster meant packet loss... then you are absolutely right. Traceroute and ping will help in finding out where the packets are being lost

green 04-21-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadyRick (Post 26942)
That's not necessarly true. Ping reports the roundtrip time to a device and also reports whether or not there was actual packet loss. :)

That is very true. I have gone back to re-read the original question and I must admit that I misunderstood the question when I first replied to it.

Sorry about that.