Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Back-up Systems and Data Recovery (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Storage in the cloud (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28139)

mdubash 05-11-2011 08:15 AM

Storage in the cloud

I'd like to hear people's experiences of:
1. Storing primary data in the cloud
2. Backing up to cloud storage
3. Archiving to the cloud

Now I know the word 'cloud' has multiple meanings but let's just assume for the sake of this discussion that it means a paid-for service in someone else's datacentre.

Clickety Clack 11-06-2011 03:34 PM

I've actually just recently started creating documents that are stored to "The Cloud". I really love being able to log on anywhere and access them. It is all still new to me, so I'm not really sure about how to archive them, etc, and how that all works.

sweetgreen 12-19-2011 04:40 PM

question.
if we are running applications on the cloud and store the data also online, we are talking of unlimited data..so backup also becomes just as big.

so is it feasible to have a backup off the cloud?

spidertech 01-31-2012 07:44 AM

I don't know why some companies give you a storage limit for cloud storage. Isn't that the whole point of cloud storage? I thought it was called that because the sky's the limit!

bell 02-02-2012 08:43 AM

cloud is not preferred for storage purposes. its main purpose is to develop new applications without bearing heavy losses.

spidertech 02-02-2012 09:04 AM

I don't understand. If you are saving your data to "The Cloud", why is this not considered as being "stored" there? Isn't that the whole purpose?

victoria stiles 02-17-2012 08:50 AM

Cloud storage poses some concerns for companies and end users that are new to the technology. If you have valuable files on your computer you need to back them up to a free cloud storage provider.

codemonkey 03-23-2012 06:57 AM

I have used Amazon's S3 cloud for backup. I've done so just for my computer so far, but I think it would be feasible to do it for the server as well, if a script could be written to interact with the cloud. However, when I used it, it was reliable, so I don't think there would be a problem.

seanwayne 02-20-2013 03:06 PM

I have been using sugarsync and justcloud for a long time and i am very happy with their performance accessibility and the most important thing that all my work is safe from all kinds of theft, lost. Basically the term Cloud means flexibility and flexibility means things changes according to the circumstances.

StuartCrawford 05-22-2015 05:31 AM

To avoid data loss, cloud are more secure to store data. I am also using private cloud services to save time and money. Checkout this infographics sharing the value of cloud on the cost of downtime.