Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Server Discussion (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Just one or many? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29476)

Bali 09-12-2011 06:04 PM

Just one or many?

Should I stick with just one kind of server (like, Dell or IBM), or should I get a couple different kinds? I suppose one kind would be easiest. What does everyone here do?

whcdavid 09-12-2011 07:15 PM

Most of the big companies stay with one brand, because they can get big discount when they buy servers. Also, if you are buying many servers, the will provide you dedicated support staffs. Easier to update the patches, bios, etc....

ABurton 09-13-2011 03:46 AM

I definitely think it would be easier to stick with one kind. It helps to have them the same in case you need to replace them; finding parts to fix them would be easier if the parts will be the same whenever you need them and make ordering them simpler.

byte72 09-17-2011 02:07 PM

I have to echo what whcdavid said in that if you are going to purchase multiple servers you can negotiate a better discount buying multiple rather than one of several different brands. I also think it would be easier for maintance if you were dealing with all the same brand and you would have one place to go for technical support.

KenB 09-18-2011 01:17 PM

On the other hand, if you lock yourself into a single vendor's solution, you lose the negotiating strength that comes from shopping in a competitive marketplace.

Caveat emptor.

Ken

B.Maclean 09-19-2011 02:17 AM

That's a good point, Ken. If a vendor thinks they have a competitor, they may be more willing to offer a better price than if they know you are going to use their product or service regardless.

Bali 09-19-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Maclean (Post 42965)
That's a good point, Ken. If a vendor thinks they have a competitor, they may be more willing to offer a better price than if they know you are going to use their product or service regardless.

So I guess what'd work best is if I considered several different brands, tell each brand I'm considering other brands, and see what comes up as the best price?

NetworkManager 09-20-2011 07:17 PM

Work with one brand. For example, if you use Dell and need 10 servers, they will give you up to a 25% discount. Then when troubleshooting, you can have one person trainer on the technology and they will be set, rather than having to cross train on multiple platforms.

cpios 09-21-2011 08:08 AM

Dell is good and it can be used to meet your needs, the OP.

DataCenterStaff 09-22-2011 03:32 PM

Dell currently is having an amazing Server sale. I'd stick with one brand, it's much easier to monitor and work with, if they are all the exact same. I'd rather troubleshoot one unit with 10 servers, than 10 servers running together. As I said though, Dell is having a great sale on their website, if you're looking to save try that or newegg.com for group deals with single manufacturers.