Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums

Data Center, Colocation, Cloud Computing, Storage, Dedicated Servers Forums (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Data center general discussion and solution (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Want to start my own mini data center? (http://www.datacentertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34506)

BensTechTips 01-27-2013 02:06 PM

Want to start my own mini data center?

Hi all,

I have recently purchased 10 Dell Poweredge servers to see if I could setup a mini data center.

What OS would I use? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks all!

KVChosting 02-07-2013 03:59 PM

What exactly do you want to know?

futurehosting 02-13-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KVChosting (Post 49354)
What exactly do you want to know?

Yeah, could you go into more specifics. Example: Are you building a virtual network? Windows environment? Linux? Do you have a rack?

Or are you just curious how loud the fans on a Dell Poweredge are? :cool:

For the record: They are loud.

neeraj26jan 03-04-2013 09:13 AM

Few months ago I have setup just a small dedicated server at my office with the help of PC, Router, Broadband connection with static IP. I have setup a complete dedicated server just like one at real data center. I have just build this for test purpose.

I have made my server continuously live for one month under observation with power backup and cooling equipment. I have attached one domain on my server to see how it behaves and result was really amazing. Website loads as quick as it is hosted on real profession dedicated server. I have test this with at a time 8 to 10 ping request and it loads very quickly. As I assume my server can easily handle 20 to 30 requests at a time.

I have used basic system config with all freely available software like Centos as a OS and Kloxo as a control panel. Now I also want to setup now fully functional mini data center at my home's basement with 8 to 10 systems. I will hire few people for monitoring my data center.

ITivan80 03-13-2013 08:59 PM

Since you are starting a Mini Data Center i would recommend Linux OS they are open source OS there is not much red tape for the licensing like Windows.

henrycmurray 03-14-2013 06:33 AM

I think you have got lots of answers I just want to wish Best of Luck for your future

futurehosting 03-14-2013 04:12 PM

Dell servers are extremely loud when not in a data center setting.

I agree with ITivan that Linux is the best choice, CentOS in my opinion being the easiest to set up and work with if you are just playing around.

trueman1 05-14-2013 07:06 AM

I will go with Linux all the way, Centos is my prefered os.

jigarkhan 10-15-2014 05:36 PM

Hello, how is your mini data center going on, can you update us on it how much cost incurred and how much profit you got till now? Thanks.